A trade secret is defined under Washington law as information, including a formula, pattern, compilation, program, device, method, technique or process that 1. Derives independent economic value, actual or potential, from not being generally known to, and not being readily ascertainable by proper means by, other persons who can obtain economic value from its disclosure or use; and 2. Is the subject of efforts that are reasonable under the circumstances to maintain its secrecy. Other jurisdictions have comparable definitions. Our trade secret services include:
- Counseling – We provide customer and business specific counseling that takes all our client’s need into account. We match our counseling and trade secret strategies to each client’s specific goals, budgets and timelines.
- Agreements – We advise and draft agreement contracts that define in detail how, where, and when the trade secrets may be shared with and used by others.
- Compliance – We recognize that information can be posted or shared instantly, so we help protect your trade secrets by advising how to abide by trade secret law and follow the steps to avoid leaks or unplanned exposure.
- Review and Enforcement – We review the trade secret documentation and ensure that our client will be treated fairly and take appropriate action to ensure their secrets are properly protected.
- Licensing – The process of commercializing your ideas often includes licensing to others the right to use them. We will work with you to develop an appropriate and aggressive licensing program for your trade secrets, and will negotiate the right for you to use others’ trade secrets when appropriate.