David V.H. Cohen
David Cohen is an experienced attorney in patent prosecution and IP transactions who joined the ÆON Law team in October 2017.
He helps clients develop and implement their IP strategy by securing legal protection for their inventions, advising on intellectual property portfolio assets, and concluding deals that turn innovation into revenue. His background includes a decade and a half of experience in patent prosecution and copyright transactions.
David’s patent procurement and counseling practice at ÆON Law (and previously at Perkins Coie) emphasizes obtaining patent protection for client inventions and assessing IP portfolios for computer-related technology, both for established enterprises and for emerging companies.
David also has substantial experience drafting IP licenses and negotiating commercial transactions for technology-oriented companies and entrepreneurs. Before joining the patent bar, he owned and managed a firm serving early-stage startups, large software companies, and public corporations. He began his professional career as an attorney in the Technology and Intellectual Property department of Preston Gates & Ellis, where he created complex software development and copyright licensing agreements, advised clients on their participation in industry standards organizations, and provided time-sensitive guidance on e-commerce law and cutting-edge legal issues.
David lives in Seattle, his home base for dancing, sailing, and discovering.
- New York University (NYU) School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1999
- University of Washington, Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering (CSE), 2011
- Stanford University, Bachelor of Arts, International Relations, 1995
- Beware of the CIP—Parent Applications Can Be Prior Art, JD Supra (Aug. 24, 2014)
Areas of Practice
- IP Strategy and Planning
- Patent Procurement
- Patent Portfolio Management
- Technology Transactions
- Intellectual Property License Negotiations
- Patent Infringement Claim Analysis
- Patent Litigation
- Washington State
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Conversational Russian
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Washington State Patent Law Association (WSPLA)
- Tau Beta Pi engineering honor society